Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Inspires You?

There are many things in this life that I fall in love with over and over again. My husband goes without saying, but simple things like watching someone walk around a lake with no perception of time, studying Champ as he becomes engrossed while surveying the neighborhood at the front door, or even the fall of leaves in the autumn - the realization that they are at their end - put me in a state of wonder. I love these moments. I find myself curious and in awe of those simple treasures; treasures that when I'm not looking inspire me.

One place I always find inspiration is in art. I absolutely love art. There is something so amazing about a person who can have such skill as to present the realities of life with the swiftness of their hand regardless if it is abstract or figurative. With each painting I wonder what emotion captured the artist and pursued them until finally it was released onto the canvass. Bob Ross (insert cliche laugh here) was the first artist I loved. Everything about how he painted was joyful. The world he created through his work was always engineered with happiness. All the trees had friends and there was nothing you could do mess up "your world".

As I grew up my attraction to art evolved and I found another artist who continues to awe and inspire me, Jack Vettriano. Some of his work hangs in our home, other pieces I am dying to get - but not all are in production. :/ His work is soulful and loving, raw and edgy, glamorous and simple all at the same time. I wonder what emotion coursed through him when he felt the need to create the different pieces. What sights he must have seen...what mystery surrounded his life...what pain he must have endured...what love he must have experienced.

I think the greatest thing about art is that there is no right or wrong interpretation. It simply holds the hope you see, the pain you feel, the love that embodies you. And every one will see something different although we are all looking at the same thing.

There are numerous artist whose pieces of work capture me and leave me speechless. I am drawn to art and with each piece I experience, I am inspired.

2 comments:

Mrs. Nettles said...

can I just say I still get a warm feeling when I watch Bob Ross re-runs. I used to watch him all growing up with my dad and a couple years ago I got Jason addicted (who never heard of him) he he. I love what you said. Its so true!

Amanda Correa said...

Is Bob Ross the guy on channel 6 you and Levi watch sometimes? I agree with you...there is something to seeing people, like the ones walking around the lake you mentioned, go about life and not looking at their watch. Also, a little info. of the day for ya..did you know that when the leaves change color in autumn it is because they are depositing their water back into the trunk? Then of course die and fall off. I never knew that, learned that on Discovery (LOVE) and am now sharing that with you;) Love you!