Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Checkmate

For a long time I wanted to learn how to play chess. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or if I would even make it through a full game, but it seemed like such a smart game that I wanted to at least try. Levi had played before and had a chess set. So, Sunday night we sat down to play my first game of chess. The game took an hour and in the end I lost. But I absolutely loved it...the strategy of the game captivated me, I was hooked.

Last night my loving husband agreed to sit down for another game. I was ahead for a good portion, then he caught me. I had him in check more times then I can remember. I even flaunted, "I am going to win! I hope you realize that." I did not win. One faulty move and the entire game changed.

Now, I am a competitor and when it comes to games I get very competitive even when I tell myself, "it's just a game." I do not like losing but I can be a graceful looser. Levi is just as competitive when it comes to races or games. However, when he wins he likes to instruct me on how I could have beaten him. I do not want the other team to coach me after they have just beaten me. There is something very conflicting in this. We no longer play racquetball, nor do we play his X Box games because of this quirky quality he posses. (For those of you who know us well, you know that we even debate the correct use and meaning of words. Yes, a dictionary is never far.) So farewell dear chess. I fear I have been put in check...or have I?

1 comment:

Mrs. Nettles said...

So excited!! I love that I get to get a sneek peak on whats going on with you and all the funny stuff you do. You will love that you have documented all the simple things in life!! I miss you! Tif